Calling the next generation of opera stars
At Opera Australia, we are encouraging senior secondary students across regional Australia to dream big.
Hand in hand with The Magic Flute Children’s Chorus, in 2014 we will also unfurl our new program; Regional Student Scholarship. This program is offered to all regional tour presenters at no additional fee.
Ten lucky students from each community will have the opportunity to take an individual audition with an Opera Australia appointed Chorus Master.
The successful four students for 2014 will receive a Scholarship prize, consisting of:
- Music, acting and movement workshops with industry leaders
- Vocal coaching with Opera Australia’s experienced coaches and repetiteurs
- 2 x tickets to see an Opera Australia performance at the Sydney Opera House
- An exclusive behind the scenes tour of The Opera Centre Sydney (where all the magic happens!) and the iconic Sydney Opera House
- The chance to perform an aria for Opera Australia’s Artistic Director, Lyndon Terracini at the end of their week’s scholarship
- Support from the Opera Australia team whilst they are in Sydney
Additionally, they will receive:
- 2 x return flights from their nearest regional centre to Sydney (for recipient and guardian)
- 5 x nights accommodation in a serviced apartment in Sydney for two
- A meal allowance for each night in line with industry standard
Opportunity for students no matter where you live
Living in regional Australia will no longer be a barrier for students to be able to access and enjoy one of the most beautiful and expressive of art forms.
Opera has the power to move, to change lives, to touch something great in us all, and make us recognise in ourselves what it is to be human. The experiences of watching and participating in live performance are unique and unforgettable, and should be available to all.
We are thrilled to be offering this opportunity to students all across the country in 2014 and 2015, as part of the touring production of The Magic Flute.
Opera Australia will collaborate with the local presenters at each step of this process with its team of experienced touring coordinators and management, who are assisted by the wider resources and operational expertise of the company.
Please note that the Scholarship will be run concurrently with the Children’s Chorus and thus will only be available for presenters that elect to participate in both programs.
For more information, contact
Opera Australia's regional and schools touring program is made possible by generous donations from opera lovers. Opera Australia would like to thank:
The Andrews Foundation
Australian Decorative & Fine Arts Society
Commonwealth Bank Staff Community Fund
The Gwen and Edna Jones Foundation