There’s not always the opportunity to engage in high drama when you’re working from home...
Each day can seem to merge into the next, as can each video conference. But what if you could dial into each meeting from a dramatic new location and give your co-workers a pleasant surprise?
If your colleagues or friends are using Zoom video conferencing to stay in touch, you can set up custom backgrounds using just about any image.
We’ve picked out some of our favourite scenes from our productions so you can video conference from an extravagant Parisian drawing room (La Traviata), a palatial 17th-century dining room (The Marriage of Figaro) or even atop the Sydney Opera House.
How do you set up a Zoom background?
First download an image (or save it to your photos, if you're on a mobile or tablet) from the selection below, with the device that you're using for your Zoom meetings.
If you're using a desktop app...
- In the Zoom app, select your profile in the top right corner, and choose Settings
- Select Virtual Background from the menu
- Where it says Choose Virtual Background, select the + to upload a photo from your computer.
- Choose the image you've selected.
If you're using a mobile app...
- In the Zoom app, after you've joined a meeting, select the three dots at the bottom of the screen and select Virtual Background
- Tap the + to choose from your available pictures.
- Tap Done and then Close.
While we don’t recommend necessarily trying to perform a full aria from behind your laptop (your microphone probably won’t capture the quality of sound you’re looking for anyway) this is a great chance to be an opera star in your living room.