Calling the next generation of opera stars
At Opera Australia, we are encouraging senior secondary students across regional Australia to dream big.
Hand in hand with Madame Butterfly Children’s Chorus, in 2018 we once again held the Regional Student Scholarship.
Ten lucky students from each community received the opportunity to take an individual audition with an Opera Australia's Regional Children's Chorus Master.
The successful four students for 2018 will receive a Scholarship prize, consisting of:
- Music, acting and movement workshops with industry leaders
- Vocal coaching with Opera Australia’s experienced coaches and repetiteurs
- Tickets to see an Opera Australia performance at the Sydney Opera House
- An exclusive behind the scenes tour of The Opera Centre Sydney (where all the magic happens!) and the iconic Sydney Opera House
- The chance to perform an aria for Opera Australia’s Artistic Director, Lyndon Terracini, at the end of their week’s scholarship
- Support from the Opera Australia team whilst they are in Sydney
Additionally, they will receive:
- 2 x return flights from their nearest regional centre to Sydney (for recipient and guardian)
- 5 nights of accommodation in a serviced apartment in Sydney for two
- A meal allowance for each night in line with industry standard
Opportunity for students no matter where you live
Living in regional Australia will no longer be a barrier for students to be able to access and enjoy one of the most beautiful and expressive of art forms.
Opera has the power to move, to change lives, to touch something great in us all, and make us recognise in ourselves what it is to be human. The experiences of watching and participating in live performance are unique and unforgettable, and should be available to all.
We will once again be offering this opportunity to students in regional areas in 2019 as part of the touring production of Madame Butterfly.
Opera Australia will collaborate with the local presenters at each step of this process with its team of experienced touring coordinators and management, who are assisted by the wider resources and operational expertise of the company.
Applications for the 2018 Regional Student Scholarship have now closed.
More information regarding the 2019 program will be made available closer to the commmencement of the tour.
For more information, contact
The recipients of the 2015 Regional Student Scholarship spend a week (...)
Opera Australia's regional and schools touring program is made possible by generous donations from opera lovers. Opera Australia would like to thank:
Gabby Walters, in memory of her parents Jane and Laurie Walters
Andrew and Tracey Sisson