The establishment of the Opera Australia Capital Fund in 2000 represented a watershed in the life of Opera Australia.
It has given our national opera company a secure financial base for the first time in its history. Now in its sixteenth year, the Capital Fund is a tribute to Opera Australia's many supporters whose collective generosity has built a legacy that will be appreciated by opera artists and audiences in the future.
Each year the Opera Australia Capital Fund makes an annual distribution to Opera Australia. In 2017 this distribution was $700,000.
It is the aim of the Capital Fund to build its reserves so that it will be able to increase this annual grant and in doing so help Opera Australia to realise its vision of financial stability in the years ahead.
The principal objectives of the Fund are to:
- Raise and invest a capital fund;
- Make annual grants to Opera Australia;
- Make special purpose grants in exceptional circumstances.
You can support the Capital Fund:
- With a donation either named or anonymous;
- With a pledge of scheduled payments over a number of years;
- With a gift of stocks, bonds, real estate or other assets;
- With a gift in memory or honour of another person;
- By making provision for a bequest in your Will.
We invite you to make a donation to the Opera Australia Capital Fund. In doing so, you will be ensuring that Opera Australia continues with its tradition of artistic excellence. Only with your support can we fulfil our future goals.
All donations to the Opera Australia Capital Fund are tax deductible. Donors who make a donation of at least $1,000 are acknowledged in all Opera Australia performance programs and in its Annual Report.
Council of Governors
The Council of Governors comprises:
- Directors of Opera Australia Capital Fund
- Donor Members who have contributed at least $250,000 or pledged a bequest of at least $500,000; and
- Special Members who actively fundraise on behalf of the Fund.
Members meet at an annual dinner during which the Chief Executive of Opera Australia and the Chairman of the Capital Fund give a briefing on the state of the Company and report on the progress of the Fund. In addition, Members of the Council are invited to fundraising events including private recitals, receptions and Capital Fund activities throughout the year.
Council Members (as at October 2017)
Philip Bacon AM* (Chairman)
Michael and Mim Bartlett
Anthony and Bronny Carroll
Jane Clarke and David Newby
Andrew and Jane Clifford
Ken Coles AM
Rowena Danziger AM
Ashley Dawson-Damer AM*
Martin Dickson AM and Susie Dickson
Lady (Mary) Fairfax AC OBE
The Hon Justice François Kunc*
Chris Lynch and Tania Seary
Phil and Helen Meddings
David Mortimer AO*
Rupert Myer AO and Annabel Myer
Roslyn Packer AC*
Kenneth R Reed AM
John Reid AO
Gary Singer and Geoffrey Smith
Michael Traill AM and Jenny Gage Traill
Barbara van Ernst AM
Ray Wilson OAM
Roy and Gay Woodward
*Denotes Director Members, some of whom are also Donor Members