Terms and Conditions
(Last updated: February 2022)
To ensure everyone can enjoy our performances, we have a few conditions you need to know. By acquiring a ticket or seeking to attend a performance or event, you are agreeing to our terms and conditions and confirming that you are aged 16+ (unless accompanied by an adult). We note that our productions are not recommended for children under eight years old.
Things can change from one day to the next, especially with COVID-19. As such, we may amend our terms and conditions from time to time. If this occurs, the terms and conditions as amended apply to you.
When we refer to:
Event - we mean a concert, performance or other experience that is arranged by Opera Australia or for which Opera Australia sells tickets.
You - we mean the person acquiring a ticket or seeking to attend an Event.
We, us or our - we mean Opera Australia.
Authorised ticket seller – we mean performance venues (such as, the Sydney Opera House), approved third party channels (including Ticketmaster, Ticketek and TodayTix) and other authorised sellers listed on Opera Australia’s website from time to time.
Contact us – we mean contact us by telephone on +61 2 9318 8200 or +61 3 9685 3700 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
1 WHO AND WHAT DO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLY TO?
1.1 Our terms and conditions apply to any person who acquires a ticket or seeks to attend an Event and you agree to them by acquiring a ticket or seeking to attend an Event.
1.2 If you purchase a ticket for someone else, you must inform them of the terms and conditions (including any updated terms and conditions notified to you).
2 WHAT TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLY?
2.1 Our terms and conditions are made up of the terms and conditions set out here as well as any other terms and conditions notified to you from time to time, including on our website. This may include terms and conditions related to a specific Event.
2.2 The terms and conditions of the venue you are attending for the Event also apply. This includes any special terms and conditions the venue has related to COVID-19. Please refer to the venue’s website for the venue terms and conditions and requirements.
2.3 If there is any inconsistency within our terms and conditions; the terms and conditions set out under COVID-19 Conditions and then those under the Cockatoo Island and Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour Conditions take precedence to the extent of the inconsistency.
2.4 These terms and conditions apply in addition to any rights or remedies that are available to you under any applicable laws, including the Australian Consumer Law.
3 WHAT CONDITIONS APPLY IN RELATION TO COVID-19 (COVID-19 CONDITIONS)?
3.1 By attending the Event, you accept all risks associated with the Event, including risks of exposure to COVID-19. These risks exist at any place where people gather, including our Events. You also confirm that you have considered these risks in light of your own circumstances.
3.2 You must provide us, or the authorised seller you purchase your tickets from, with the minimum contact details required under the law. If you are purchasing tickets for a group, you must know the minimum contact details of each member of the group and get permission to share those with us if we require it. If you provide your tickets to someone else to attend in your place (including where you have resold your ticket(s)), you must know the minimum contact details for that person and get permission to share those with us if we require it.
3.3 You must follow any restrictions or requirements imposed by the venue, Opera Australia or government in relation to COVID-19. These will change from time to time. They include:
- you must not attend the Event if you feel unwell, have symptoms of COVID-19, have or are suspected of having COVID-19 or are required to self-isolate or stay-at-home for any reason;
- you must follow all requirements set out in our COVID-19 Safety Plan, which will be published prior to the event; and
- where required, you must provide evidence of your COVID-19 vaccination or vaccination exemption.
3.4 We may cancel your tickets, change your seat location or change your seat configuration for reasons related to COVID 19. This includes due to changing audience capacity limits. We will contact you if we need to cancel your ticket(s).
3.5 If we change your seat location or change your seat configuration for reasons related to COVID-19, we will use reasonable endeavours to provide you with a location or configuration of comparable value to the seat you booked or refund you the difference in value.
3.6 If we need to cancel your ticket(s) for reasons related to COVID-19, you may choose to:
- exchange your ticket(s) for ticket(s) to a different Event. If the exchanged ticket(s) is of a lower value, we will provide a credit for the difference. If the exchanged ticket(s) is of a higher value, we will charge you the difference;
- exchange your ticket(s) for an Opera Australia gift voucher for the value of the ticket(s); or
- receive a refund for the full value of your ticket(s). Except as required by law, we are not responsible for any other expenses you incur or may incur, in relation to an Event cancellation. Other expenses include cost of travel, parking, child-care, accommodation and food and beverage.
4 WHAT FLEXIBLE TICKETING EXCHANGE CONDITIONS APPLY FOR CIRCUMSTANCE RELATED TO COVID-19?
4.1 Except as required by law, this clause only applies to tickets purchased from us. If you did not purchase your tickets from us, please refer to the terms and conditions of the authorised seller that you purchased your tickets for the Event from for its exchange conditions.
4.2 If you cannot attend an Event because of a COVID-19 Condition, the ticket(s) may be exchanged for tickets to a different Event or an Opera Australia gift voucher for the value of the ticket(s) as set out below. We may require that you provide details of the circumstances for requesting the exchange of tickets or gift voucher before considering the exchange.
4.3 The person who first purchased the tickets can exchange the tickets for tickets to a different Event of the same production (subject to availability) by contacting us:
- online - before the start of the Event; or
- by phone – before midday for a weekday or before midday Friday before weekend Events.
If the exchanged ticket is of a lower value, we will provide a credit for the difference. If the exchanged ticket is of a higher value, we will charge you the difference.
4.4 The person who first purchased the tickets can exchange the tickets for a gift voucher (including if an exchange for tickets is not available) by contacting us:
- online – at least three hours before the start of the Event; or
- by phone – before midday for a weekday or before midday Friday for weekend Events.
4.5 We will only provide refunds in our absolute discretion or as required by law. The person who first purchased the tickets can request a refund by contacting us– at least three hours before the start of the Event. We may require that you provide details of the circumstances for requesting the refund before considering the refund.
4.6 Except as required by law, we are not responsible for any other expenses you incur or may incur, including in relation to an exchange, refund, Event cancellation or in connection with attendance to the Event. Other expenses include cost of travel, parking, child-care, accommodation and food and beverage.
5 ARE CONCESSION PRICES AVAILABLE?
We may offer a single ticket concession price from time to time. Single ticket concession prices are only available to current holders of an Australian pension, Australian full-time students and persons aged 16 years and under. You will need to provide proof of your eligibility for the concession at the time of purchasing the tickets, collecting the tickets and prior to admission to the Event.
6 WHAT CONDITIONS APPLY TO GROUP BOOKINGS FOR OPERA EVENTS?
6.1 We may offer the following terms from time to time for group booking of less than 200 tickets for an Event that is an opera:
- If you purchase eight or more tickets for the same performance in the same reserve, a discount of up to 20%;
- No booking deposit, with full payment due for all tickets no later than six weeks prior to the Event. If your payment is not received by this time, we will cancel your tickets; and
- Unless required by law, we will not provide a refund.
7 WHAT ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS APPLY TO SUBSCRIPTIONS?
7.1 Our subscription prices are subject to change. This includes that Opera Australia will review and may adjust published ticket prices when tickets to individual performances are released to the general public.
8 WHAT ARE THE TICKETING EXCHANGE AND REFUND CONDITIONS FOR CIRCUMSTANCES THAT ARE NOT RELATED TO COVID-19?
8.1 We will refund your tickets if required by law or if:
- we cancel an Event before the start of the Event (or for Events held at Cockatoo Island or Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour before the interval);
- we reschedule an Event to a time more than two hours earlier or later than originally programmed and you do not wish to attend the rescheduled Event; or
- we issue a ticket to you by mistake and we are unable to provide you with a ticket to the Event in question.
8.2 If you wish to request an exchange or refund of tickets because of other circumstances, the person who first purchased the tickets must request an exchange or refund. If you purchased your tickets from us, contact us. If you purchased your tickets from an authorised ticket seller, contact their box office. The request for exchange or refund must be made:
- online - at least three hours before the start of the Event;
- by phone – before midday for a weekday or before midday Friday before weekend Events; or
- where a new date or venue for the Event is advised – by the date advised in that communication.
8.3 We will only exchange or refund your tickets in our sole discretion or as required by law. We may require that you provide details of the circumstances for requesting the exchange or refund before considering the exchange or refund. We will not refund tickets if you are not the person who first purchased the tickets, for change of mind, if you were refused entry or removed due to your breach of the terms and conditions, if these terms and conditions were breached (including the resale restriction), the tickets were resold or if the cause was outside our control. To the extent permitted by law, we may also impose reasonable fees or other conditions on the exchange or refund.
8.4 All refunds will be made to the person who first purchased the tickets and, where practicable, using the form of payment originally used to purchase the tickets.
8.5 To the extent permitted by law, we are not responsible for any other expenses you incur or may incur, including in relation to an exchange, refund, Event cancellation or in connection with attendance to the Event. Other expenses include cost of travel, parking, child-care, accommodation and food and beverage.
9 WHAT RESTRICTIONS APPLY ON THE RESALE OF TICKETS?
9.1 You must not resell or buy a ticket to an Event for more than 110% of the original supply cost (resale restriction). The original supply cost is the amount for which the ticket was originally sold to the first purchaser by us or an authorised ticket seller (excluding transaction cost). Tickets resold for more than this amount will be cancelled and the ticket holder will not be admitted to the Event.
9.2 We may require you to provide evidence of the resale price to determine whether you have complied with the resale restriction. This evidence must be provided within a reasonable time. We will consider any evidence that reasonably demonstrates the resale price. This may include a bank statement, resale account receipt, tax invoice and/or correspondence between reseller and buyer. If the requested evidence is not provided in a reasonable time, we may cancel the ticket(s) without refund or notice and you may be refused admission to the Event.
9.3 We strongly recommend you only purchase tickets from an authorised ticket seller. If you purchase tickets from another source or an authorised reseller (such as, Ticketmaster Resale, Viagogo, Ticketbis, eBay, Gumtree, Tickets Australia):
- you risk that the tickets are fake, invalid, void or have previously been cancelled;
- you may be refused entry to the Event;
- we cannot refund you if an Event is cancelled; and
- we cannot inform you of important changes to the Event (such as times, COVID-19 requirements, parking arrangements, and production details).
9.4 Our tickets must not be included in packages or used in advertising unless authorised by us in writing.
10 WHAT CONDITIONS APPLY TO CHANGES TO THE EVENT OR SEATS?
10.1 We can make changes to the Event. We will endeavour to keep you informed about changes. However, sometimes things change with little or no notice. For example, artists may change, or the venue may change.
10.2 We may change your seat location or change your seat configuration at any time. If we need to re-seat you, we will use reasonable endeavours to ensure it is in a location of at least comparable value to the seat you booked or refund you the difference in value.
10.3 We make every effort to ensure ticket pricing is correct, but we reserve any rights we may have to correct genuine errors.
11 WHAT ARE OUR ATTENDANCE CONDITIONS?
Latecomers may be admitted to an Event during a suitable break, which could be the first interval, if an interval is scheduled. In some cases, latecomers may not be admitted to the Event at all.
11.2 Children attending Events
- Persons aged under 16 years old must be accompanied by an adult at all times. We do not recommend our Events for children under eight years old.
- If a child (including an infant) attends the Event, the child must have their own ticket and sit in their allocated seat. The child cannot sit on the lap of a parent or guardian. Parents and guardians must consider the comfort and enjoyment of other audience members if bringing children to the Event.
11.3 Lost tickets
You must keep your tickets safe. We will only replace lost or stolen tickets at our sole discretion. We will not replace tickets that have been resold. We may also impose reasonable fees. For emailed tickets, please check your spam or junk folder if you are unable to locate your tickets.
11.4 Use of electronic devices
- Use of cameras and other recording devices during the performance is strictly prohibited. Photographs may be taken before and after the performance and at interval, but not during the performance.
- Mobile phones and any other electronics must be silenced or turned off for the duration of the performance. People using electronic devices during the performance may be removed.
11.5 Your behaviour
You are responsible for behaving in a manner that does not interfere with the safety and enjoyment of others. You (and any children in your care) must not:
- behave in a manner which causes or may cause property damage or that threatens or may threaten the safety of performers, visitors, other audience members or any other person, including as a result of intoxication; or
- behave in a manner that unreasonably interferes with other audience members' enjoyment of the premises or Event, including through the use of cameras, mobile phones, or other electronic devices.
11.6 Refusal of entry or removal from the Event
- You may be refused entry to the Event or be removed from the Event (and venue) at our discretion or the venue’s discretion. This includes if:
- you fail to comply with these terms and conditions or any relevant venue requirements;
- we have not received payment for your ticket or you are unable to produce a ticket;
- you are intoxicated, you behave in a threatening, disruptive or offensive manner or you do not follow safety directions; or
- you unreasonably interfere with another guest’s enjoyment of the Event or venue or with our staff carrying out their functions.
- If you are refused admission and you have in no way contributed to the circumstances of the refusal, we will refund your ticket if it was purchased in accordance with these terms and conditions.
- If you are refused admission or removed from the Event, Opera Australia reserves the right to refuse entry to future Opera Australia events.
12 WHAT ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS APPLY IN RELATION TO EVENTS HELD AT COCKATOO ISLAND AND HANDA OPERA ON SYDNEY HARBOUR (COCKATOO ISLAND AND HANDA OPERA ON SYDNEY HARBOUR CONDITIONS)?
12.1 What are the additional conditions on exchange or return of tickets?
- If you wish to request an exchange or refund of tickets, the person who first purchased the tickets must request an exchange or refund at least two working days before the Event. We will only exchange or refund your tickets in our sole discretion or as required by law.
- For Events held at Cockatoo Island, a portion of the ticket price may be non-refundable, except to the extent that we are required to provide a refund by law. This will be advised at the time of your ticket purchase.
12.2 Are the Events open-air and held in all weather conditions?
- We hold the Events in an open-air venue. This means that the venue, audience seating, and stage are completely uncovered.
- We hold the Events in all weather conditions, including unfavourable weather conditions. We may delay the start time of an Event or pause an Event by up to 60 minutes throughout the Event. We will only cancel an Event during electrical storms (within 10km radius) or during times of extremely high winds and/or rain.
- In some weather conditions, we will implement a wet weather Event contingency plan, which is created by the director and team during rehearsals and adapts the Event to ensure performer and crew safety.
- Any decision to cancel an Event:
- (i) at Opera on Cockatoo Island, will generally be made after 7.45pm;
- (ii) at Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour, will generally be made after 7.30pm; and
- (iii) at Opera on Cockatoo Island and Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour, may be made during an Event.
Please plan to travel to the venue for the Event start time even in unfavourable weather conditions.
- If we cancel an Event before it commences or during the Event prior to the scheduled interval, you may exchange the ticket for a subsequent Event or obtain a refund. The person who first purchased the tickets must request the exchange or refund by contacting our box office or, if you purchased your tickets from an authorised ticket seller, contact their box office.
12.3 What conditions apply to where travel event by ferry is included?
- The ferry service for travel to Cockatoo Island is operated by a third party.
- You will be allocated to a ferry in accordance with COVID-SAFE and ferry safety requirements.
- You travel by ferry at your own risk and any items you take on the ferry are also at your own risk.
- You must follow any safety instructions and other necessary requirements, including any written notices on board the ferry and/or at the point of departure or return. This includes that you must not smoke on the ferry. You must also present your bags and personal belongings for visual inspection if requested.
- If you are deemed unfit to travel or do not follow directions, you will not be able to travel on the ferry. Our decision, or the ferry master’s decision, to exclude you from ferry travel is at our sole discretion.
12.4 What are the other venue requirements?
- You should dress appropriately for an outdoor venue, including appropriate footwear for the outdoor venue and climbing outdoor stairs to reach your seat.
- Any personal items you bring to the venue are at your own risk. We will not take responsibility for any items which are lost or damaged on the site. You must also present your bags and personal belongings for visual inspection if requested.
- Cloak Room facilities are not available at the venue.
- Bulky items are not permitted in the venue. Umbrellas, backpacks, larger bags and other items that may be hazardous or restrict the movement of guests may not be permitted into the venue. Strollers and prams may be left with front-of-house. It is your responsibility to collect any items after the Event.
- You must respect the venue — please don’t collect plants or flowers, climb on the trees, walk on garden beds, or remove, damage or destroy heritage items.
- You must not use an umbrella during the Event. We recommend that you dress with the potential for changed weather conditions in mind and bring warm and rainproof clothing.
- All unauthorised commercial activity including soliciting, customer surveying, promotions, marketing, photography and filming are not permitted, unless expressly authorised by us.
12.5 What conditions apply to food and beverages booked and purchased in advance?
- You must be 18+ to purchase food and beverages in advance. By purchasing food and beverages in advance, you are agreeing to our terms and conditions.
- You must claim food and beverages purchased in advance on the Event date stated on the voucher.
- We will provide all food and beverages purchased in advance on the Event date stated on the voucher regardless of whether or not the Event proceeds. In the case of unfavourable weather conditions, food and beverages purchased in advance are served under cover or can be taken away.
- We will not exchange or refund food and beverages paid for in advance, except to the extent required by law (including pre-performance, interval and post-performance hospitality).
- We will only permit food and beverages purchased at the venue into the venue. No outside food or beverages are allowed at the venue (unless medically required).
- Our food and beverage providers operate as a commercial kitchen and there may be traces of gluten or nuts in any food or beverages.
12.6 What are the conditions in relation to COVID-19 vaccination?
- You must follow any restrictions or requirements imposed by Opera Australia or the government in relation to COVID-19. These will change from time to time and may include a requirement that you are fully vaccinated or have a valid medical exemption to enter the Event.
- We will issue directions about the conditions in relation to COVID-19 vaccination for the Handa Opera on Sydney Habour and other Events at Cockatoo Island closer to those Events.
12.7 Notification of a positive COVID-19 case
If you, or any member of your group, is advised they were potentially COVID-19 positive at the time of their attendance to the Event, please notify us. We may require evidence of a positive COVID-19 test result, such as, an SMS notification from a COVID-19 test provider, a notification from NSW Health or formal notification. Any alerted case may be reported to NSW Health.
13 WHAT CONDITIONS APPLY TO GIFT VOUCHERS?
- Gift vouchers must be redeemed within three years of the date of issue and are transferrable.
- Gift vouchers can only be redeemed for Events sold directly through us and cannot be redeemed for tickets purchased through venue box offices or other agencies (e.g. Ticketmaster, Sydney Opera House and Arts Centre Melbourne).
- Where the value of the ticket purchased is greater than the value of the gift voucher, the difference is payable by the gift voucher recipient. Where the value of ticket purchased is less than the value of the gift voucher, the remaining value will be held on the gift voucher. The original gift voucher validity will continue to apply.
- Gift vouchers cannot be redeemed for cash and unused value will not be refunded.
14 WHAT OTHER GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLY?
14.1 Ticket Sales
We reserve the right to refuse to sell ticket(s) to any Opera Australia event for any lawful reason including as a result of past breaches of these terms and conditions.
14.2 Photographs, Recordings and Privacy
- We reserve the right to record, broadcast and/or telecast any Event and you consent to the use of any image or recording taken of you, and anyone for whom you are responsible, while at the venue or Event. We are not obliged to use, broadcast or provide to you any such recording.
- Closed circuit television (CCTV) will be used at venues.
- Subject to paragraph (e) below and to the maximum extent permitted by law, we will not be responsible or liable for any loss, damage or injury (including any special, indirect, consequential, incidental or punitive loss or damage), howsoever caused, arising from your attendance of the Event, whether or not the loss or damage was foreseeable and even if advised of the possibility of the loss or damage. You assume all risk associated with your attendance of the Event and you are responsible for making your own inquiries before deciding whether an Event is suitable for you to attend.
- Unless required by law, we will not be responsible for any auxiliary or incidental expenses incurred or to be incurred by you in connection with your attendance to the Event, for example, travel, car parking, child care, accommodation or other goods or services, even if the Event is cancelled. You should consider whether insurance is appropriate for your circumstances.
- You are at all times responsible for your personal possessions (such as bags, mobile phones and other items you carry with you) and must not leave any of your possessions unattended at any time.
- Without prejudice to paragraph (e) below, our liability to you in relation to tickets is limited to the obligations specified in these terms and conditions and our obligations under applicable laws and the Live Performance Australia Ticketing Code of Practice – Consumer Code. Except as expressly provided in these terms and conditions, all express or implied guarantees, warranties, representations relating to these terms and conditions or its subject matter, not expressly stated in these terms and conditions are excluded to the maximum extent permitted by law.
- The Australian Consumer Law provides certain statutory guarantees for consumers which cannot be excluded, for example that services will be provided with due care and skill. Nothing in these terms and conditions excludes, restricts or modifies any right or remedy, or any guarantee, warranty, representation or other term or condition, implied or imposed by any legislation, including the Australian Consumer Law, which cannot lawfully be excluded or limited.
14.4 No Waiver
We reserve the right to enforce these terms and conditions if you have purchased a ticket to an Event in contravention of these terms and conditions and you attempt to attend the Event. Our failure to exercise, or any delay in exercising, any right, power or remedy does not operate as a waiver. A single or partial exercise of any right, power or remedy does not preclude any further exercise of that or any other right, power or remedy. This includes where we have not enforced our rights under these terms and conditions on a prior occasion.
We may amend these terms and conditions by updating them on our website. Any variations become effective upon their first publication on our website and apply to tickets already purchased and new tickets being sold. You should review these terms and conditions before purchasing tickets and before attending Events.
Competitions run by Opera Australia are authorised by the NSW Government Fair Trading, Authority Number TP/00452.
At Opera Australia, our customers are very important to us, and we are committed to protecting your personal details securely and sensitively. Read our customer privacy statement.
All users of the Opera Australia website do so with an understanding and acceptance of the following conditions:
- All information provided on this site is done so in good faith and Opera Australia has taken all reasonable measures to ensure the information contained herein is accurate and current.
- No liability is accepted for loss or damages incurred as a result of reliance upon material contained on this site.
- By accessing this website, you will be deemed to have released and discharged Opera Australia from all liability which might arise.
- By accessing this website, you will be assuming all risks associated with use of the site, including risk of your computer, software or data being damaged by any virus which might be transmitted or activated via Opera Australia’s website by your access to it.
Unless otherwise stated, all content on this website is copyright Opera Australia and must not be re-used without prior written permission from Opera Australia.
Every reasonable effort has been made to ensure that the information presented on this website is correct and up to date, and Opera Australia reserves all rights to change any information on this website at any time without notice.